Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Surprising Outlet Experience

It is not often that I have a surprising online shopping experience.  Recently, I had the fortune of getting to purchase a laptop for a family friend as a gift.  We were on a fixed budget, so I spent a decent amount of time shopping for the right system, and for the right supplier.  My company uses Dell, so it was where I started the search.  I then branched out, but eventually returned to Dell since it is what I know.

But in pricing, I just couldn't find that sweet spot where the system was up to par and within budget.  Through some networking, I got referred to the Dell Outlet (http://www.dell.com/outlet).  I expected to find yet another storefront peddling the same wares under the guise of a great discount but with really no net benefit.  What I found was something else entirely, and worth sharing.

B-Stock
I use this term to refer to the not-perfect-off-the-shelf item.  These items are usually either refurbished or have minor cosmetic damage.  Whenever I can, I buy electronics as B-Stock.  I mean they're usually only good for 2-3 years anyway, and I personally consider anything that is out of warranty as beyond end-of-life.  As long as a B-Stock purchase comes with a decent warranty, I consider it a no-brainer.

And B-Stock is what the Dell Outlet peddles.

It is not entirely a consumer-friendly site.  But it was fairly easy to narrow down my search to the features I cared about and, with a small amount of hassle, find the system I wanted, a Dell XPS 15z.  This is one of Dell's newest line of systems, and there was a lot of B-Stock to choose from.  You can't customize the order, but if you don't mind checking and re-checking, a model that fits your needs will probably show up soon.

Once I made the purchase, the system shipped early the next business day, and was in my hand the day after that.  The total saving was around 25% over the best other deal I could find.  That is definitely not a trivial discount on high-dollar electronics.

No comments:

Post a Comment